Here are the results of the first part of the Cinba project where my initial aim has been to create creatures which have unappealing textures and deformed shapes. At the same time I hope that the birds intrigue the onlooker enough to persuade you to pick them up and care for them.
I felt like I still had further to go with this project therefore I decided to continue with it into the personal investigation project but to place my work into the field of contemporary crafts. I needed to consider costs, value, time keeping, marketability and appeal.
The results are below:
ABOVE: The characters of the birds change when placed within a group. They become stronger and less vulnerable. The mother carrying the baby on her back makes them appear independent and purposeful.
BELOW: The gold beaks enable the birds to get attention quickly and they have evolved into rather beautiful creatures despite the fact their surfaces and shapes are based on disease and deformity.
The gold lustre and the porcelain increases the value of the birds, I have used less surface decoration which has reduced my time spent. The pieces have also become more sculptural and abstract which provides greater interest but unwittingly also reduces time spent making. Despite the reduction in decoration, I hope I have managed to retain the exquisiteness of the birds.
I have used black thread to try to stitch the deformed and broken birds back together. This is a recent outcome and one which requires further investigating. I hope to look at the link between textiles and ceramics next term within my own project.